Garrison Forest empowers students to realize their full potential and live lives of purpose.

Garrison Forest School

History

Founding

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Garrison Forest then was an all-girls’ day school, Kindergarten through Twelfth Grade, with a residential program for older girls and a coed primary program. Today, the model remains nearly identical with the addition of a vibrant international boarding program and two-year-olds as the youngest Garrison Forest students. The motto Miss Livingston chose for her burgeoning school, Esse Quam Videri—To Be Rather Than To Seem, perfectly captured her vision for a school steeped in academic rigor while infused with exceptional character building.

1929-1960

Since its founding, Garrison Forest School has redefined itself in response to the challenges of the day. Miss Livingston grew her school in size and reputation, and in 1929, she passed the mantle to Co-headmistresses Jean G. Marshall and Nancy J. Offutt. Under their spirited and firmly grounded leadership, the School not only survived the Great Depression, it thrived, adding new students and attracting a top-caliber faculty. For 30 years, Miss Marshall and Miss Offutt guided Garrison Forest, building a national boarding reputation, excellent academic programs, and a highly competitive riding program.

1960-1968

In 1960, the School hired its first male headmaster, Archibald “Tad” Montgomery III, who expanded the residential program, campus, and enduring tradition of community outreach. Garrison Forest School’s Service League was founded by students in 1942 as a response to helping on the home front. Decades earlier, students helped in the local fields while farmers were fighting in World War I. Today, Service League assists dozens of regional, national, and international agencies and causes through student volunteerism.

1968-1978

Lawrence “Larry” L. Hlavacek served as Headmaster from 1968-1978, shepherding the School through a difficult financial time, played out against the challenging cultural backdrop of the 1970s. As boarding school enrollments dipped nationwide and many girls’ schools shut their doors or merged with other institutions, Garrison Forest held steady by returning to its founding model of educating boys and girls at the preschool level. In 1950, to accommodate a growing Upper School program, the School closed its primary department, but in 1975, the Valley School, a local, coed independent preschool and elementary school merged with Garrison Forest. Today the Lower Division serves girls and boys, Two-Year-Olds through Kindergarten, and girls, Pre-First through Fifth Grades.

1980s

With the dawn of the 1980s, Garrison Forest appointed Agnes “Aggie” C. Underwood as headmistress, and for nine years, she led the School to a new level of academic excellence. Garrison Forest’s reputation and enrollment grew through achievements, such as the increased number of Advanced Placement courses and faculty members with advanced degrees, enhanced student diversity, a depth of arts programming, and Mrs. Underwood’s leadership among national independent school organizations.


1989-1994

In 1989-90, Alexander A. Uhle served as Interim Head of School until Elsa “Midge” M. Bowman began her four-year tenure. She continued the School’s commitment to intellectual achievement and ushered Garrison Forest onto the global stage with the advent of a formal international boarding program in the early 1990s. Today, 20 percent of the students hail from countries beyond the United States, creating a true global community.

1994-2014

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

2014-present

Kimberley J. Roberts, Ph.D. began her tenure at GFS in July 2014. Dr. Roberts came to GFS from her alma mater Castilleja School, an all-girls' school (grades 6-12) in Palo Alto, California, where she served as assistant head of school and director of advancement. She is an outstanding administrator, educator and innovator with a life long passion for educating and empowering girls. In 2017, Dr. Roberts returned to California in June 2017 to become a program manager in Google's Education and University Relations group.

In July 2017, Lila Boyce Lohr, Garrison Forest Class of 1963, returned to GFS as Interim Head of School.

In Fall 2017, Christopher "Chris" A. Hughes was named 12th Head of School and began July 2018. He comes to GFS from St. Paul Academy and Summit School (SPA) in St. Paul, Minnesota, a coed K-12 day school, where he served as Upper School Principal for 10 years.

Heads of Garrison Forest School

1910-1929 Mary Moncrieffe Livingston, founder

1929-1960 Jean G. Marshall

1929-1960 Nancy J. Offutt

1960-1968 Archibald R. Montgomery III

1968-1978 Lawrence L. Hlavacek

1978-1989 Agnes C. Underwood

1989-1990 Alexander A. Uhle

1990-1994 Elsa M. Bowman

1994-2014 G. Peter O’Neill, Jr.

2014-2017 Kimberley J. Roberts, Ph.D.

2017-2018 Lila Boyce Lohr '63

2018-Present Christopher A. Hughes